Natural Therapies & Support
- Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine
- Alexander Technique
- Baby Planning
- Birth Centers
- Childbirth Education
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT)
- Family Planning
- Flower Essences
- Healing Touch
- Herbal Medicine
- Holistic Dentistry
- Hypnosis & Hypnotherapy
- Lactation Consultants, Support & Education
- Massage & Bodywork Therapies
- Mental & Emotional Support
- Physical Therapy
- Pre & Postnatal Fitness
- Natural Fertility & Conception
- Natural Pregnancy
- Natural Birth & Childbirth Support
- Natural Postpartum
- Natural Baby
- Natural Home & Family
My interest and passion for aromatherapy began when I was pregnant with my son. I can testify from personal experience that essential oils did not only help me conceive, they also helped me cope with the different physical and emotional problems that come with pregnancy. Ever since, I have incorporated the use of these natural oils as part of my daily life as well as my son’s.
Pregnancy is just the right time to pamper your senses and to prepare for the joys of motherhood. For many women, several minor problems like morning sickness, indigestion, fatigue, edema, insomnia and cramps can mar this feeling of happiness. The scope of Aromatherapy in different stages of pregnancy cannot be undermined.
Keeping the individual needs of new and to-be mommies in mind, Aromandina has a wide range of essential oil formulations to choose from.
Use of Aromatherapy and Essential Oils during the First Trimester
The feeling of excitement and anticipation during the first trimester coupled with hormonal changes in the body can bring about morning sickness, mood-swings, anxiety and gastric problems.
Essential oils when used individually or in combination may help alleviate or minimize these symptoms. Moreover, since a woman’s sense of smell is enhanced multifold during pregnancy, it’s great to be surrounded by a pleasant smelling, healthy and relaxing atmosphere.
The following essential oils not only offer a refreshing environment but can also be very helpful in suppressing symptoms of stress and discomfort:
- Spearmint oil is a good nerve tonic that helps fight off mental fatigue and nervous stress.
- Grapefruit oil is a natural anti-depressant as it uplifts and refreshes the mood.
- Ginger oil is a warming essential oil often used to treat digestive problems and stomach upsets of any kind. Its warming qualities neutralize feelings of loneliness and winter depression.
- Lemon oil helps to eliminate emotional confusion and enhance one’s sense of humor and sense ofwell-being.
These oils can be used individually or in combination with other oils according to personal preference. Fill a bowl with water and add a total of 5-15 drops to your aromatherapy burner or electric diffuser.
Use of Aromatherapy and Essential Oils during the Second Trimester
The problems faced during the second trimester of pregnancy are quite different from the ones during the first trimester. Needless to say, the essential oils to be used are different too.
Stretch Marks are a common form of scarring that can occur when abdominal skin is overstretched duringpregnancy. The following oils are highly effective and beneficial during the second trimester:
- Frankincense: Has a peaceful and calming effect on the mind and helps in relieving stress and anxiety. It’s tissue regenerating properties make it very effective in lightening scars and stretch marks.
- Lavender: Soothes and calms the nerves; can help prevent and diminish stretch marks.
- Sandalwood: Induces a state of mental relaxation and; soothes cracked, chapped and irritated skin; recommended for stretch marks and scars.
- Grapefruit: Helps in uplifting and reviving the mood; is also known for its mild digestive properties.
Aromandina’s RADIARE Mommy Body Oil is an effective essential oil for minimizing stretch marksas it nourishes the skin to prevent scarring and also acts as a relaxant for the mother-to-be. The product is a combination of the above mentioned essential oils that can be safely used during pregnancy. This body oil may be massaged over areas prone to stretch marks like the abdomen, hips and thighs or may be inhaled deeply to ease anxiety and nervousness.
Symptoms of Emotional Discomfort like stress, fear, insomnia and anxiety are not uncommon during the second trimester. Here are some essential oils that encourage deep relaxation for the mind and body:
- Lavender: A natural sedative that calms the nerves and regulates cardiac activity. It also alleviates nervousness and calms a restless, hyperactive state. The de-stressing properties help in counteracting anxiety, irritability, nightmares and restlessness.
- Mandarin: A sweet and soothing scent, it is ideal for curing restlessness, anxiety and sleeplessness in children.
- Marjoram: Relaxing, warming and comforting, it is very effective in chronic insomnia. Since it has a calming effect on the mind,it is indicated in the treatment of palpitations, tachycardia and hypertension.
- Sandalwood: It has a cooling and calming effect on the nervous system and helps overcome a state of obsessive worry. It is also effectivein fighting off recurrent nightmares and irritability.
- Palo Santo: It invokes a feeling of sacredness akin to entering a temple; frees the mind from mundane thoughts; and has a purifying effect on the mind.
The SERENO Sleep Time Essential Oil is a blend of all these essential oils that relieve stress and calm the mind. The benefits of the SERENO Sleep Time Essential Oil can be delivered via various modes. These are:
- Aromatherapy Burner: This is an effective method for mood enhancement and upliftment. It disinfects the air and can boost immunity through inhalation. Fill a bowl with water, add 5-15 drops of essential oil, light the candle and relax.
- Quick Inhalation: Pour 3-4 drops of essential oil on a tissue and inhale directly. It is a great way to achieve an instant calming or energizing effect.
- Pillow: For a better sleep, put 4 drops of Essential Oil on a cotton pad and tuck it under the pillow case. For a deep and restful sleep, it is recommended that you use SERENO Sleep Time Essential Oil
Use of Aromatherapy and Essential Oils during the Third Trimester
The female body undergoes dramatic changes during the third trimester. The fluctuating hormone levels and all the extra weight on the limbs can lead to edema and fatigue.
Edema: Geranium oil is an effective essential oil that minimizes bloating and water retention.
- Usage: Mix 2 drops of Geranium Essential Oil in 1 teaspoon of the RADIARE Mommy Body Oil andmassage gently with long strokes over the calves and feet without applying too much pressure on the ankles or heels.
Fatigue can occur at any stage of pregnancy, especially if you already have children or are working.
The VIGOR Alerta Body Mist is a unique blend of uplifting essential oils that can be safely used after the third trimester. Use this rejuvenating Body Mist after shower or in the afternoon when a quick pick me up is needed.
VIGOR Alerta Body Mist contains essential oils that combat fatigue:
- Spearmint: Has restorative properties that strengthen the memory and stimulates the mind.
- Peppermint: Stimulates the nerves and brain, improves concentration and helps in focusing.
- Cardamom: Fortifying tonic for the brain and nervous system
- Eucalyptus: Helps to revive the spirits and infuses positivity. The oils are infused in a base of rosemary floral water.
- Usage: Close your eyes, spray the mist on your face and body and breathe deeply.
Use of Aromatherapy and Essential Oils during Labor
The benefits of aromatherapy during labor are immense. Essential oils can make the experience as pleasant and easy as possible for both the mother and the baby by creating a relaxing, comfortable and stress-free environment for labor.
Essential oils diffused in the delivery room will help cleanse the air and provide a familiar and welcoming scent for the baby. Recommended Oils to be used during childbirth are:
SERENO Sleep Time Essential Oil: This formulation contains oils that promote peace and relaxation. Inhale this oil between contractions for enhanced strength, stamina and endurance levels during delivery.
As soon as contractions set in, ask your partner or friend to help you with a firm massage onto your lower back. The combination of aromatherapy and massage will help ease muscular pain and impart a feeling of confidence and reassurance.
Pour ½ teaspoon of RADIARE Woman’s Help Body Oil on the palm of the hand and massage the lower back as often as needed. I first discovered the therapeutic benefits of this blend when I gave birth to my son. Ever since, I have been able to help many women cope with pregnancy and delivery. The results have always been consistent – women have reported a general feeling of well-being and confidence. The aromatic oils infuse a sense of self-assurance and minimize the pain. The essential oils in the RADIARE Woman’s Help Body Oil are helpful because they:
- Relieve anxiety and fear
- Improve circulation and breathing
- Infuse a feeling of “I can do it!”
- Provide relief from pain in a natural and safe way
- Help induce contractions