Natural Therapies & Support
- Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine
- Alexander Technique
- Baby Planning
- Birth Centers
- Childbirth Education
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT)
- Family Planning
- Flower Essences
- Healing Touch
- Herbal Medicine
- Holistic Dentistry
- Hypnosis & Hypnotherapy
- Lactation Consultants, Support & Education
- Massage & Bodywork Therapies
- Mental & Emotional Support
- Physical Therapy
- Pre & Postnatal Fitness
- Natural Fertility & Conception
- Natural Pregnancy
- Natural Birth & Childbirth Support
- Natural Postpartum
- Natural Baby
- Natural Home & Family
By Liza Janda AAHCC since 1995
I have been a Bradley Method® teacher for 20 years in North San Diego County. I believe that for parents who want to know as much as possible about labor and birth and want to remove fear, then the Bradley Method® of Natural Childbirth is an excellent choice.
There are many different types of childbirth classes, so it is important to take the time to find one that appeals to you and your birth partner. Each one will resonate differently with different people. I believe all of the childbirth methods and teachers are trying to do the same thing for women and their babies. We are all trying to help women and babies have the healthiest and safest births possible.
Preparing for labor and birth takes time. You will have a better birth experience if you prepare and train both your body and your mind. In the Bradley Method you will learn how to respond and cope with the natural process of labor. Most students of the Bradley Method feel relaxed and prepared when labor begins.
The Bradley Method is typically 12 weeks or 22 hours of instruction. Some teachers may have longer class times, but the series last only 8 or 10 weeks. So it’s good to contact a few teachers to see what their schedules are:www.bradleybirth.com .
The Bradley Method® endorses and teaches the following:
- Natural childbirth – the safest and healthiest for mother and baby
- Active participation by the coach – the loved one is the best to support and encourage and sometimes families are encouraged to also hire a doula if they feel it will help.
- Excellent nutrition – is the foundation of a healthy pregnancy and affects the health and well-being of mother and baby and can even affect how well the body will handle labor and birth.
- Avoidance of drugs – routine medical interventions increase risks to the safety of mother and baby.
- Early training – starting in your 5th or 6th month gives you plenty of time to prepare mentally, emotionally, and physically.
- Natural breathing combined with relaxation techniques – the key to the Bradley Method®
- Tuning into and working with your body – distraction doesn’t work as well as understanding the normal process and tuning into and trusting your own body
- Immediate and continuous contact with your new baby – skin to skin with mom boosts immunity and encourages bonding and breastfeeding.
- Breastfeeding beginning at birth – mom and baby both benefit
- Positive communications – learning the right questions to ask and when helps the parents make decisions with their care providers.
- Informed parents sharing in the making of responsible decisions
- Parents prepared for unexpected situations (such as emergency childbirth or cesarean section)
Labor and birth can be an incredibly empowering experience when you are prepared. So take the time to learn all that you can and have Happy Birth Day!